Secondary School

How can I access Pronote and communicate with the Lycée (secondary school only)?

The Lycée uses Pronote software for its supervision of pupils (homework notebook, marks, absence, late arrivals). All parents (parents 1 and 2) are sent the access codes by e-mail at the start of the school year. Parents who have not received their access codes must log on to their Family Space and check and update their contact details (postal address, e-mail addresses for parents 1 and 2, etc...). Then, you can send an e-mail to to report the problem , making sure you include the following information :

- First Name and Surname of Parent 1 and Parent 2.
- First Name, Surname and class of each child in secondary school

Which languages are taught in secondary school at the Lycée Français Charles de Gaulle?

All pupils from Reception to Sixth Form take English lessons.
From Year 7 onwards, they must also choose a second language among German, Spanish, Italian or Russian. For further information, read the Modern Languages Project.

Is it mandatory for pupils to eat in the school restaurant?

School meals are voluntary for secondary school pupils. The choice is applicable for the entire school year and cannot be changed during the year.

My child must observe a specific diet for medical reasons. Can he/she use the school restaurant?

If you opt for school meals, your child will be accepted in the school restaurant even if they have special dietary needs. Families whose children have special dietary needs must set up a ICP (Individual Care Plan) (also known in French by P.A.I) with the Lycée’s school doctor. To do this, parents must contact the school medical centre and provide a medical certificate. For further information, consult the school medical centre section on this website (our services).

My child has lost his/her school restaurant card. How can he/she get a new one?

In case of a lost or damaged school restaurant card, pupils must report the instance to their School Life - Pastoral Care Office and fill in a form to get a temporary one-week card.
The pupil must then bring a cheque for £5 payable to “Agent Comptable Lycée Français Charles De Gaulle” (which amounts to purchasing a new card) within 48 hours of reporting the card missing otherwise parents will receive an email reminder. The pupil will have to return to School Life - Pastoral Care Office (one week after the request at the latest) to retrieve the new card.

How can I arrange for my child to leave the school during the last hour of the school day if his/her teacher is absent?

For pupils in Years 7 to 10, parents can sign an authorisation in the contact book at the start of the year.

This way, if the teacher for the last lessons of the school day is absent, and the pupil is authorised to leave school, they can. If the pupil has not been authorised, they must remain in School Life - Pastoral Care Office until their usual release time. If parents wish their child to leave school early exceptionally they must come and collect them and sign a disclaimer.

- Pupils in Years 11 to Sixth Form are authorised to leave school during gap hours or when their teacher is absent.

How can I notify the school of my child’s absence?

- Years 7, 8 and 9: tel 020 7590 68 51 and 68 54,

- Year 10, Year 11, Year 12 and Sixth Form L (baccalaureate): tel. 020 7590 68 53 and 68 22,

- All British Section: tel. 020 7590 68 78

A pupil who has been absent must return to school with the pink slip in their contact book filled in and signed by their parents and must submit the contact book to School Life - Pastoral Care Office before their first lesson. The school will not tolerate repeated and unjustified absences.

How do I get an appointment with a teacher?

Most secondary school teachers communicate with families by e-mail. Do not hesitate to use the teacher’s e-mail address to ask for an appointment. You can also request an appointment via your child’s contact book.

Is there a supervised study room where my child can study after his/her school day?

No, there is no supervised study room after the school day in our Lycée.

Are there any extracurricular activities in secondary school?

There are various clubs that are run by teachers: list of clubs & associations.
These clubs offer many extracurricular activities.

What does the ASSR (Road Safety School Certificate) entail?

Within the framework of the road accident prevention programme, all Year 8 and Year 10 pupils must take the exams of the Road Safety School Certificate. It is a Road Safety School Certificate which pupils undertake as part of a campaign for the prevention of road accidents and for road safety awareness. It is an important prerequisite for driving a motor vehicle and it is mandatory in a school environment. It comprises 2 levels:

- Level 1 is organized in Year 8 and is essential to ride a motorbike under 50 cubic centimeters. It must then be completed with a minimum 5 hours of riding lessons given by an approved organisation or motorbike riding school, in order to result in the awarding of a road safety certificate.

- Level 2 is organized in Year 10 and is necessary to sign up for the theoretic test of the drivers’ license. For further information on the ASSR, visit the Eduscol website. To help pupils prepare for it, there are many internet links. For example: Preparing for ASSR-on the MAIF website, after signing for free - On the Lycée’s history/geography education blog

What do the initials mean?

• APB: (Admission Post-Bac) Post Baccalaureat Admission
• APL: (Associations des Parents du Lycée) Parents’ association of the Lycée
• ACE LFL: (Associations des Parents du Lycée) Parents’ association of the Lycée
• ASSR: (Attestation Scolaire de Sécurité Routière) Road Safety School Certificate
• CDI: (Centre de Documentation et d'Information) school library
• CIO: (Centre d'Information et d'Orientation) Careers and study options advice centre
• CPE: (Conseiller/e Principal/e d'Éducation) Head of Year and Pastoral Care)
• CPGE: (Classes Préparatoires aux Grandes Ecoles) Preparatory classes for elite universities
• DAF: (Directeur Administratif et Financier): Chief Financial and Administrative Officer
• DNL: (Discipline Non Linguistique) Non linguistic discipline
• ECLA: (Enseignement Complémentaire en Langue Anglaise) Additional Teaching in English
• GCSE: General Certificate of Secondary Education
• IELTS: English Language Proficiency Test
• IGCSE: International General Certificate of Secondary Education
• OIB: (Option Internationale du Baccalauréat) International Option of the Baccalauréat
• PAI: (Projet d’Accueil Individualisé) Individual Care Plan
• PDMF: (Parcours de Découverte des Métiers et des Formations) Discovery path for professions and study options
• PPRE: (Programme Personnalisé de Réussite Educative) Personalised Programme for Educational Success
• RH: (Ressources Humaines) Human Ressources
• SAF: (Service Administratif et Financier) Finance and Administration Department
• SB / BS: Section britannique / British Section
• UCAS: Universities and Colleges Admission Services